U3A Local History

Visit to Berkhamstead – 24th October 2019

Photos courtesy of Rupert Anson

Berkhamstead
Our Three Guides…
and Their Dog!
Blue Plaque Above Barber Shop Is One Of Many That Mark The Heritage Trail
Anglican Parish Church Of St Peter, Dating From 1220
Elizabethan Court House, Now The Parish Hall
Dean Incent’s House (1500). John Incent Was Dean Of St Paul’s Cathedral
he Red House. One Previous Owner Was Hanged For Murder In 1845
Plaque Marks The Founding Of Berkhamsted School In 1541
Bust Of William The Conqueror Marked 950th Anniversary Of Battle Of Hastings
The Gardener’s Arms, One Of A Pair Of Mid 19th Century Former Ale Houses
On The Right Is Entrance To A Former Dairy. There Is Still Stabling Within
No.68 Castle Street, One Of Many Buildings Owned By Berkhamsted School
The Boote (1605) One Of More Than 6 Former Ale Houses In Castle Street
Canadian Totem Pole On The Site Where John Alsford’s Timber Yard Once Stood
View Of The Grand Union Canal From The Castle Street Foot Bridge
Commemorative Stone In Mill Street Marking The Site Of The Old Mill
Building Purchased By Berkhamsted School Still Retains The Old Pub Sign
A Modern Building Now Stands On The Site Of The Old Market Hall