Photographs of History II guided tour of Stewkley

 

Photos by permission of Rupert Anson

Jill Scott – Stewkley resident and our guide for the morning

 

Church of St Michael & All Angels – hardly altered since Norman times

 

West door of church, adjacent to High Street

 

Western aspect of the building

 

A small section of the overspill graveyard facility

 

Long view down the aisle – largely unaltered since it was built

 

Closer view down the aisle to show detail of chevron archway stone carving

 

Impressive decorated ceiling over the sanctuary

 

Virtually unaltered from day one, the decorated ceiling can be seen above the altar

 

Detail of chevrons on arch above chancel and sanctuary

 

Tythe House’ (yes, the pillars really are crooked!)

 

National School (1860-1977) .. now private dwellings

 

Bellcote added in 1880 serves as a reminder of former times

 

One of the older buildings in the village. The two dormers are of cruck frame construction

 

Double fronted house with carriage entrance to right
Yet another building that used to be a pub

 

Formerly the King’s Head public house

 

 

St Michael’s School replaced the old National School in 1977

 

The Swan public house. In the 19th century there were 10 pubs in Stewkley

 

Stewkley Village Hall, opposite The Swan and centre of village activities

 

The former Weslyan School, founded in 1873

 

Ivy Lane, where drovers once led their live stock

 

Appropriate house name in Ivy Lane

 

Pretty little row of cottages in Ivy Lane

 

Emmeline Pankhurst lived here (1912-1914) as a retreat from suffrage issues in London

 

Pond in resident’s back garden at top of Ivy Lane

 

The house to whom the pond belongs .. another former public house

 

Best kept village in Buckinghamshire in 2016