Photographs of History 2 Visit to Ewelme

Photographs by kind permission of Rupert Anson

Norman, our guide for the morning
Church of St Mary the Virgin (rebuilt 1436)

 

East aspect of the church

 

Aisle, rood screen & chancel. Some mediaeval glass remains in east window

 

Tomb of Alice de la Pole, Duchess of Suffolk (1404-1475)

 

One of a pair of corbels in the chancel, bearing the Chaucer unicorn crest

 

Chapel of St John the Baptist on south side of chancel

 

Chapel roof, of Spanish chestnut, elaborately embossed

 

Font with elaborate carved wood cover

 

Almshouses adjacent to church, established in 1437

 

Steep covered steps lead from west door down to Almshouses

 

Part view of almshouses quadrangle with well in centre

 

One of the pretty floral displays in the almshouses quad

 

Almshouses gardens immaculately kept

 

The School .. the oldest school building

 

Mullioned windows of school, supported by corbels of stone

 

Entrance to former Ewelme Manor

 

Ewelme Manor, dating from Tudor times .. now apartments

 

‘Greyhound House’, surely a former pub (note sign bracket)

 

King’s Pond – reputedly Henry VIII bathed his ulcerated legs here

 

Welcome lunch break was had here

 

Take heed of this sign on the side of one of the buildings in the High Street
Keith & Tom, who were our guides for a tour of the watercress beds and meadows

 

Walking through the Ewelme Local Nature Reserve

 

One of several views of the cress beds

 

Free flowing clear water is dammed to form the watercress growing areas

 

Further watercress beds, showing dividing walls and walkways

 

Former gun emplacement to protect RAF Benson .. now converted into safe haven for wildlife

 

Insect hotel constructed by local children

 

Beautiful pyramid orchid growing in the wild flower meadow

 

Well heeled residents enjoy lovely views across the meadowland