Photographs of History II walk round Long Crendon

Photographs by Rupert Anson

Andrew Ormanroyd – our guide for the morning

The Flower Pot Coffee Shop where we met up

War Memorial with recreation ground behind

War Memorial with Harfield Cottage in background

Sycamore House dating from medieval times, as seen from war memorial

Different types of architecture at junction of High Street and The Square

Old School House adjacent to earlier village school (closed 1964)

Slightly different view of the Old School House

Thatched cottage at junction of Jesses Lane and High Street

Stunning splash of colour in a resident’s front garden

No.26 High Street .. formerly needle makers’ cottages

Formerly a butcher’s shop – established in 1840

Baptist Chapel, opened in 1853

No.52 High Street, formerly Dodwell’s Stores

Long CrendonHall (1889) now the New Chapel Surgery

Detail of the inauguration plaque on the village hall

Dating from 16th century, this was The Golden Cross public house until 1960

Pink thatched cottage with unusual pargeting on the front

The Church House (1909) now the venue for public events and entertainment

Another typical thatched house in this old village

Well Cottage (there’s a stone slab in the garden covering one of the old wells)

Thompson’s Farmhouse, believed to be the birth place of the needle-making industry

Thatch decoration caught our attention

This sign for the Eight Bells is quite new .. since they ‘went all gastro’!

This is how the Eight Bells with it’s original sign looked in July 2011

Mulberry House, once the vicarage (1747 – 1987)

Coming up to Madges, one of the oldest buildings in Long Crendon

Madges – mainly C16th it was modernised in 1790

Row of former needle-makers’ cottages

Approach to St Mary’s Church with Court House on left

The Court House, dating from about 1550

Medieval cottage constructed using cruck trusses

St Mary’s Church with Court House on the left

Entrance to Court House

Court House interior facing west

Court House interior facing east

They said the stairs were very steep …. !

Traditional view of the Church of St Mary the Virgin