History 2 – visit to Quainton on 23-5-19

Photographs by Rupert Anson

Martin-Jacobs-our-guide-for-the-morning
Parish Church Of The Blessed Virgin Mary & The Holy Cross
Earliest Date For The Building Is About 1340
The West Tower Was Added In C15
Chancel. The East Window Is Modern
C15 Font Of Limestone With Octagonal Stem
Memorial To Sir Richard Piggott Of Doddershall (d.1685), His Wife, His Nephew & His Nephew’s Wife
Memorial To Richard Brett (d.1637), Some Time Rector; Also Translator Of The King James Bible
Rectors Of Quainton From 1223 To 1975
This C17 Building Was A School From Early 1700s Until 1899
rudenell House (formerly The Rectory) Dating From C16 And Refronted In C18 (front Gates Under Construction Here)
Winwood Almshouses (consisting Of 8 Dwellings) Built In 1697
One Of Two Identical Plaques To Acknowledge Richard Winwood’s Endowment
The Low Building To The Right Was Formerly An Outside Privvy
Nos. 32 & 34 Church Street. C17 Buildings Of Box Frame Construction
vy House (No.25 Church Street) Dating From The Late C18, Was Formerly The Headmaster’s Residence
Banner Farm House (No.28 Church Street) Dating From C17. Note ‘coffin Door’ On This Side
One Of The Few Remaining Old Water Pumps In The Village
Nos. 24 & 26 Church Street, Constructed In 1722, As Evidenced By The Brick Work
This Interesting Red Painted Fire Certicate Can Be Seen On The Front Of Nos 24 & 26
Baptist Chapel In Church Street, Showing The Date Of 1891
View Of Quainton Windmill Glimpsed Between Buildings As We Walked On By
Quainton Village Stores (Church Street). The Post Office Was Re Opened In March 2009
Nos. 2 & 4 Church Street, Dating From C15
Nos. 18 & 19 The Green, Dating From The Late C17
Thatcher’s Fox On Roof Of No.18
Thatcher’s Owl In Window Of No.19
Top End Of The Green With Village Cross On The Right. Hard To Believe That The Foreground Was Once The Village Pond
Quainton Windmill, Built 1830 32. The Tallest Working Windmill In Buckinghamshire
Windmill Stands Resplendent In The May Sunshine With The Village Cross In The Foreground
No.11 The Green, Also Known As Magpie Cottage (1763)
No.8 The Green, Formerly The Post Office (notice The Blacked Out Letter Box)
Cross Farmhouse, Dating From 1723, With Wonderful Views Across The Green Towards Waddesdon
Traditional Postcard View Up The Green, Featuring Quainton Windmill And The C15 Village Cross
A Welcome Sign For Weary History 2 Walkers!
George & Dragon .. Always Busy And Very Popular For Lunches

Leave a comment