History 2 – A Walk Around Marlow

22nd August 2019

Photos courtesy of Rupert Anson

Our Guides Barbara And Dee
Cricket Playing Field Between Car Park And The River
Marlow Bridge And The Church Of All Saints
The Usual Array Of Ducks, Swans And Gulls Are Commonplace Along The Riverside
Marlow Bridge (built 1829 32) Was Seen As A Prototype For The Chain Bridge Over The Danube In Budapest
Marlow Rowing Club. The Club House Replaced The Previous Building That Was Badly Damaged By Fire In 2011
Marlow Bridge From The North Side Of The River
The Compleat Angler (after Isaak Walton’s 1653 Book) Is A Hotel & Restaurant
The Nave Of All Saints Church
Baptismal Font In All Saints Church. Note Decorative Wooden Hood & Counterbalance
The Compleat Angler And Marlow Bridge, Viewed Across All Saints Churchyard
The Spotted Boy A Rescued Slave Child Who Had Piebaldism. He’s Buried In All Saints Churchyard
Marlow Was Awarded The Title In 2015
Memorial To The American Theatre Impresario Charles Frohman, Erected In 1924
Alternative View Of Memorial With All Saints Church In Background
Gateway & Sundial At The Dial House (grade II Listed). It’s Only A Facade .. There’s Nothing Behind It!
Old Bridge House, As Seen From All Saints Churchyard. C19th Brick & Flint Grade II Listed
The Two Brewers. Believed To Be The Oldest Surviving Pub In Marlow (est.1755)
Once This Building Housed The Boys Only School, But These Days It’s Apartments
Marlow Masonic Centre. Built Originally As A Public Lecture Hall In 1866
St Peter’s Catholic Church (1846). It Was Designed By Augustus Pugin, Who Died In 1852 Aged Just 40
The Nave Of St Peter’s Catholic Church
The 1970 Extension At The Rear Of St Peter’s Catholic Church
The Deanery, Where An Early Surviving Example Of C18th Mullion Window Can Be Glimpsed
Marlow Place (1721 Grade 1 Listed). Looks Like A Grand Residence But Was Never Used As Such
Down By Marlow Lock The View Back Along The River Is Like A Painting
Pedestrian Bridge To The Locks Area, From Which Views South West Up The River Can Be Had
Part Of The Old Wethered Brewery (1758 1988). It Also Produced Over 61,000 Shell Cases During WW1
Wethered Brewery’s Contribution To The WW1 War Effort